Ballet Grade 1
- Recommended Age Range as of January: 7.5 - 9 years old
- Minimum age for this class is 8 years old by June 30th.
- Students with little or no dance experience may need to trial a few different levels to find the best class
- Exceptions are at the discretion of the school/teacher and will depend on previous dance experience, exams passed, ability and age. Please contact the office for further information.
- Uniform Requirements:
Girls Marine "Bronwyn" style leotard Ballet tights Pink ballet socks (optional) Pink leather ballet shoes with full sole and elastic Low heel character shoe (teacher will advise) Character skirt - new style available from PW Dance* Boys White short-sleeved leotard or well-fitted white T-shirt Navy shorts or ankle length tights White leather ballet shoes with full sole and elastic Short white socks Black lace-up character shoes
- Grade 1 ballet is our forth-year level ballet class. Students are taught the fundamental steps and linking steps of classical, free-movement and national character ballet styles. Our school follows the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) syllabus from Grade 1 level. Exercises and combinations have a strong focus on technique, style and performance.
- Students in Grade 1 ballet have the opportunity to enter a RAD Class Award Examination, NZAMD Medal Test and/or to perform in our annual End of Year Recital. Students wishing to sit the Grade 1 RAD class award examination are required to attend at least two exam classes per week during term times.
- Progression: Grade 1 ballet progresses on to Grade 2 ballet.