Ballet Grade 1
- Recommended Age Range as of January: 7.5 - 9 years old
- Minimum age for this class is 8 years old by June 30th.
- Students with little or no dance experience may need to trial a few different levels to find the best class
- Exceptions are at the discretion of the school/teacher and will depend on previous dance experience, exams passed, ability and age. Please contact the office for further information.
- Uniform Requirements:
Girls Marine "Bronwyn" style leotard Ballet tights Pink ballet socks (optional) Pink leather ballet shoes with full sole and elastic Low heel character shoe (teacher will advise) Character skirt - new style available from PW Dance* Boys White short-sleeved leotard or well-fitted white T-shirt Navy shorts or ankle length tights White leather ballet shoes with full sole and elastic Short white socks Black lace-up character shoes
- Grade 1 ballet is our forth-year level ballet class. Students are taught the fundamental steps and linking steps of classical, free-movement and national character ballet styles. Our school follows the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) syllabus from Grade 1 level. Exercises and combinations have a strong focus on technique, style and performance.
- Students in Grade 1 ballet have the opportunity to enter a RAD Class Award Examination, NZAMD Medal Test and/or to perform in our annual End of Year Recital. Students wishing to sit the Grade 1 RAD class award/examination are required to attend at least two exam classes per week during term times.
- PLEASE NOTE: At grade 1 level the RAD examination is very tough and we highly reccomend that students enter the RAD Class Award as an alternative. However if teachers feel there are students who are up to exam standard technically, artistically and musically, is confident with the syllabus without copying others, displays duribility to correction and the presurres of an exam then they will be considered for the full exam.
- Progression: Grade 1 ballet progresses on to Grade 2 ballet.